One of London’s most famous music venues has been badly damaged in an overnight blaze.
The dome on the roof of Koko in Camden has been destroyed by fire, according to the London Fire Brigade.
Sixty firefighters helped fight the flames after the blaze broke out just before 21:00 GMT on Monday and no injuries have been reported.
The venue which began life as the Camden Theatre in 1900 has hosted stars including Madonna, Coldplay and Prince.
Station commander Jon Lewis said the fire was brought under control at about 02:30 on Tuesday, adding: “Firefighters’ quick action and hard work in the early stages meant the fire was contained to the roof and saved the rest of the building.”
Koko owner Olly Bengough said he was “deeply saddened” by the blaze, adding: “We’ll be doing our best to get the redevelopment of this iconic building back on track.”
Crews will remain at the scene throughout the day and have warned people to stay away from the area.
Koko which was closed for refurbishment, was also previously known as the Camden Palace and Camden Hippodrome and has been one of the capital’s most iconic live music venues for decades.
The Rolling Stones, The Clash and Ed Sheeran are among other star names to have performed at the venue, which is close to Mornington Crescent underground station.
It was reportedly the last venue where AC/DC’s Bon Scott was seen drinking before his death from alcohol poisoning in 1980.
In the early 80s it served as a major venue for the punk and New Romantic scene, with singer Steve Strange of the band Visage holding club nights.
Members of the public have been sharing their Koko memories on Twitter.
Marc Rustic was “absolutely gutted” having seen his first grime gig at Koko.
“MoStack was performing and it was honestly the best night of my life,” he added.
Veteran DJ Tony Blackburn who held his legendary soul nights Shakatak also tweeted about the fire.
Koko and the nearby Roundhouse effectively “bookended” Camden’s music scene, according to music writer Carl Allen.
In between the two are 60 music venues including the Dingwalls and Electric Ballroom, as well as restaurants and pubs.
On Twitter the Roundhouse said it was “really sad” to hear the news about our Camden neighbours.
Camden Council leader Georgia Gould said: “Heartbreaking watching the Camden Palace/Koko up in flames this evening, a building that holds so many memories and means so much to us in Camden.”
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan thanked the fire brigade for its quick response.
The venue was set to reopen in the spring after a “major state-of-the-art” refurbishment, after the purchase of two adjacent buildings.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
Up to 100 residents are being forced out of their homes for up to three years due to “potentially combustible insulation”.
Residents of the award-winning Bridport House in London have been told they will have to re-locate within 12 months due to “serious” structural errors.
Hackney Council confirmed legal action will be taken against Willmott Partnership Homes, who built the block.
One resident said: “It’s disgusting the way we’ve all been treated.”
The resident, who did not want to be named, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “We’ve all lived here for years, and you don’t want to be moving out and moving back in again.”
Pauline Millgate, another resident, said she was “annoyed” about how the council have handled the property.
She said: “We’ve been here for eight years and we’ve had nothing but ongoing problems with leaks, holes in the roofs and holes in the floor.”
Michael Jones said he felt “like a prisoner” in his own home.
“The scaffold has been up for nearly 18 months and we’ve been told we can’t go out on the balcony,” he said.
The 41 families living in the property will be offered another temporary or permanent home in the borough while the work is carried out, but they could be displaced for up to three years.
Families moving permanently are to be offered a one-off home loss payment of £6,300 alongside other financial incentives.
Bridport House on the Colville Estate won awards awards for design and engineering when it opened in 2011.
Since then the building has suffered a litany of problems including falling roof tiles, crumbling bricks and flooding.
Investigations have now revealed more serious defects including missing fire barriers and flawed brickwork, balconies and windows.
Heat insulation was found to be “a combustible material”, but cannot be tested.
Hackney Council claimed the London Fire Brigade had concluded the building remained safe for residents, but the brigade has denied this.
The council will now open a procurement process for the £6m repair works.
Mayor of Hackney Philip Glanville said: “We are sorry for the failures in the construction of Bridport House, and for the huge disruption residents continue to face.
“Moving residents from homes we all hoped would be new and permanent is not an easy decision, but our first priority is their safety.
“We will be taking legal action to hold those responsible for these failures to account. We also should have done a better job.”
Willmott Partnership Homes said it was “disappointed at the way the problems at Bridport House have been portrayed by Hackney Council”.
The builders said they could not comment fully “in view of the threat of legal action”.
A spokesman said: “This is an extremely complicated matter, significantly exacerbated by various aspects of the Building Regulations recently being reinterpreted following the Grenfell tragedy.
“We too want to say how sorry we are that matters have turned out in this way, and of course for the concern this will have caused to the residents at Bridport House.”